Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What Grinds My Gears #1

If you watched the Family Guy movie, you know what I'm talking about. Peter Griffin's "What Really Grinds My Gears" has a lot of truth in today's society. This will be a new feature that will be updated once a week. These 1 paragraph rants should be fine to keep up. The things discussed are the things that rub me the wrong way.

You know what grinds my gears, Reality TV. Some reality shows are good and actually help the contestants (The Amazing Race, The Biggest Loser, and The Mole are examples). But have you seen these other shows. Primarily reality shows that are on VH1 other than Celebrity Rehab. All those shows do is exploit the people on them because they think they'll make it big by being on the show. Even shows like American Idol and Dancing With the Stars are farces. Think about it, it's not really about who the best singer or dancers are, it's about who's popular and gets the most votes. In American Idol's case, usually if you're truly good enough, you'll get a record deal with or without winning which completely defeats the purpose of the competition. I'm still not convinced that some of those shows are fixed (I'm looking your way The Bachelor). And that's what grinds my gears.

2 comments:

  1. But the really bad ones...people watch them? Why? I never watched any "reality TV" till the strike last year. I watch Amazing Race and I DO like Idol, cause I love seeing those kids sing their hearts out. But the other ones???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Dancing with the Stars, but I think the celebrities shouldn't be paid so much for participating. They make upwards of $100,000 just for showing up (even if they are injured before actual competition begins). I feel that the celebs should donate all or most of the $$$ received for being on the show, and these charities should be promoted during the show itself. That way all the gratuitous rump shaking will at least be for a good cause. :)

    ReplyDelete